Sunday, September 21, 2008

A New Camera, A New Set of Problems

We got a new camera! We've let the old Sony gracefully move into retirement where it'll spend the rest of it's days playing Scrabble and taking a photo every now and again. The new camera is a Nikon D40. There's some drama with it. It's all my husband's fault, he likes things to be far more complicated than necessary. We've already argued about the camera, I wanted to strangle him not more that 7-minutes ago. Instead of strangling him, I cried and probably told him to go eat some Haggis. I'm good now, I have cute pictures to show you, and more importantly in this argument with my husband I am the winner, he is wrong and I am right. Yep. Me. Right.

A list of things to tell you:
1) Petra is still on a high from the big gymnastics triumph last week. It seems to have boosted her confidence in general. For example, she did really well (for her) at her soccer game on Saturday. She actually spent some time kicking the ball and running down the field with it. She helped the team out! This was a big step for her, she got aggressive and took a risk. After the game, Coach Gina came over to tell her how proud she was of her her, Petra was ecstatic and super-dog cute with her toothless smile. When I asked Petra why she played so differently, she said "because usually Coach Gina puts me in defense but today she put me in fohwahd and I pwefeh fohwahd watha' than defense." She actually said "prefer" and "rather," she's good like that. No matter the reason for the improvement, I'm just so darn proud of her for trying so hard. Makes me eyes a bit wet.
Below, Petra - age 7, with Coach Lalo doing some bar work.
2) Ice. I want ice all the time. I dream about ice. I eat ice whenever I can. I go out of my way to get ice. Fortunately, we have an ice maker. The issue is pica, I don't want to go into it, I'll let you Googawho it. It's an issue. Mr. Doctor OB called the other day, I'm supposed to take an iron supplement because my hemoglobin is 9.3. That is terrible. It hasn't been that terrible since the day that some resident incised me hip-to-hip and dislodged Petra from my pelvis via my abdomen after the previous 24-hours of labor, including 10-hours of pushing, failed to produce a baby. After that, my hemoglobin was pretty bad, worse than it is today. Following Petra's birth I looked like a marshmallow in a pre-Smore stage, white and sticky. These days, Suthn' Cali gives me a glow that I didn't have with any of my previous anemia episodes. Now I look like a marshmallow that has just hit the flames, ecru and gooey. Probably tired lookin' too. I'm super-dog tired. All I wanna do is sleep, eat ice, quit my J-O-B, and eat marshmallows -- thing is, I wonder if that is a little bit of a cannibal of me . . . to wanna eat my kin, the marshmallow. Oooh, shiver.
3) Speaking of cannibals, anyone read the most recent National Geographic about the Neanderthals? I suggest you do.
4) I can't even tell you how I'm feeling about Little Annaslugger after her t-ball game yesterday. She knocked my socks off. She probably hit that whiffle ball at 10-miles an hour, too. Baby's got bat! I tell ya'! 3-year old Annike, below.
5) Soren the Great Brazilian Defender. He loves playing back by the goal. His daddy says he's intuitive. Plus, he can read really well! He's like an academic and a jock. I remember those boys from high school, their parents spent a lot of money on college for them. Hmmmm . . .
Soren, age 5, below.
6) Lars was testing the sprinkler system today. It made my blood run cold. I had to take to my bed with a Xanax and a bottle of red wine where I put little cucumbers over my eyes and chanted 'ohm.' Well, quite honestly, I didn't have any Xanax but I wanted some. Additionally, I didn't drink a full bottle of red wine. I did, however, take to my bed because I couldn't stand the noise of the running water. I dreamt about eating ice, custard filled donuts and marshmallows. My marshmallow next of kin -- I woke up screaming. Then I went to my Finer Things Club meeting where we discussed Skinny Bitch, talked about the importance of being vegan, and then was presented an eclaire avec custard with 31 gleaming candles. So sweet. I'm sure it was vegan custard, except that it tasted really good.
7) While I was at my FTC meeting, the husbands and children went to our house. They played Rock Band, ate dead animals, drank beers.
8) Lars made falafels for dinner tonight. Lars, Petra, Maggie and I liked them very much. Annike declined them initially and they made Soren gag. Lars' new motto is "it's what is for dinner." He says it applies to every situation in life, a la you-get-what-you-get-and-you-don't-throw-a-fit. The only way we got those two little rats through it was by allowing them to stand on their chairs and march in time to Petra's cheering. They each finished their falafels, no puking, no worse for the wear. Long live the chick pea!

This week has me working a boat load (under a new moon), soccer practices, gymnastics, karate, parent-teacher conferences for P and S, and dental work for Little Miss Extra Front Tooth Presently No Front Teeth.
Namaste my brothers and sisters.


4 comments:

Jamie Payne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamie Payne said...

I'm a moron. After posting, I realized I had multiple spelling errors:) I just wanted to say hang in there. I hope the iron supplements work for you.

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Oh my...you are really funny...like Erma Bombeck. She died a while ago from cancer. But BOY was she funny! If you haven't read any of Erma Bombeck's material you ought to. You could make a boat load of money with your sense of humor. Marshmallow...cannibalism...HA! Glad you got the camera of your dreams. Your birthday gift from us ought to come in handy. I look forward to seeing many more photos and great posts like this. Hang tight, Kel.

Carolyn said...

We have a D40--we love it!
I'm sending hemoglobin-boosting thoughts your way.