Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Annike's First Day of Preschool

Isn't she adorable? I just want to eat her. Daddy took this picture, and took her to school this morning. I was able to meet them at the school after I left work.
Don't all Montessori classrooms look the same? I love it. I love the materials, the familiarity of the set-ups. The school isn't new to Annike, it's where she and Soren went last school year. The big news is that Annike is in the big girl classroom this year. Lars said she went right into the classroom and started working. Her teachers' names are Ms Chamali (pictured) and Ms Holly. It's just so darn precious.
Now for a work story . . .
I had a very busy night at work last night, one of those annoying nights where each and every one of the patients made me want to quit my job. A night that was so busy that I didn't get the chance to empty my bladder once during the 13+ midnight hours that I was there. A night so long and strenuous that I was on my feet the whole time waddling around on lower extremities that were swollen up to my knees by the end of the night. Okay, so here's the story: I get report from my colleague, as she's going out the door, about a patient (we'll call her Jenny) who needs special considerations in her care but to read the chart as it is all written down. I go to visit Jenny's chart, here's what you need to know: she's there to have her labor induced because of a complication with her placenta, during her 1st trimester and early 2nd trimester she was using crystal meth, this is her second baby, and oh -- she's a flippin' 15-year old! (sounds of screeching car breaks, head lights smashing, etc) Jolly, rotund midwife say what?! Yep, that little patient of mine is a LITTLE GIRL having her second baby, she had her 1st at 13. She lives in an in-patient drug rehab program. I nearly puked. I finally had the courage to walk into her room, convincing myself that sometimes it is not as bad as it looks on paper. WRONG!!! My little 15-year old girl, soon-to-be mother of two was reclining in her bed, eating Doritos, feet propped up on the bedside table, watching Hannah Montana! (sounds of screeching car breaks, head lights smashing, etc) Yep folks, she was watching the tweenie-bopper show on the Disney Channel, Hannah Montana. She was alone in the room, as soon as I walked in she brightened up and started talking incessantly about this-and-that, giggling throughout her conversation with me. She took a quick break in rattling on and on to me to tear the top off of a Pixie stick and dump the contents onto her tongue. Then she took a deep breath to talk again, but inhaled the Pixie dust so then coughed up a big cloud of blue sugar -- which caused her to bust-a-gut with laughter. Just her and me, no one else. I felt like I was at a frickin' sleep-over. No mother in the room, no Baby Daddy, just one lonely, Hannah Montana-watchin' little 15-year old meth dependent LITTLE girl with an STD rap-sheet more detailed than George Bush's federally mandated high school sex ed plan (not that abstinence only is long, or a plan for that matter or that my patient even knows what abstinence means or that it starts with the letter "a" or that she could even say it or that she was even in high school when she gave birth to her first baby). Later in the night Baby Daddy and the patient's mother came to the hospital, the mother is my age (30) and Jenny is her oldest of six children. I'm guessing Jenny has a very narrow frame of reference in which to operate in, either the fictionalized world of Hannah Montana or the pathetically morbid world of her 30-year old mother. The whole scenario is pitiful. Pitifully pitiful.

4 comments:

Mommela said...

Annike looked so snipping-snopping cute I could just eat her up! Congratulations on your first day in the Big Girl Room, Annike!

As for the meth addicted, Pixie Stix sucking, Hanna Montana watching 15-year old mother of two, I only can ask what in the wide, wide world of sports is going on out there, and if you guys want in on our world's only Jewish convent school when the girls get to be that age.

Mama/Baby-Catcher/KellyJellyBelly/KJB/Wifey said...

I'm in for the convent school! Having said that, my kids have a sense about drugs already (they know cigarettes are VERY bad and that women growing babies shouldn't drink beer) and Petra and Soren know the deal behind babies and why it's important that adults have babies and not kids. But, yes, we are in on the Jewish convent . . . may Soren attend?

Jamie Payne said...

I don't know how you do it. I'd have the hardest time not beating some sense into my patient. There are loving, married couples out there who only want to conceive their own baby and can not. Then you've got the meth addicted, Hanna Montana watching 15-year old chowing down Doritos before she delivers her second baby. I would like someone to explain to me some day how that is fair!

Thanks for the cute pics of Annike though. They brought me back out of the gloom and dispair.

Roxanne Schwandt said...

Ok, I occassionally come check out your blog linked from Jamie and Debra's blogs. I am Jamie's friend from WI, and due 12/25 with #1. After reading about that 15-yr old, I am speachless. OH MY GOLSH!!! I guess her role model isn't much help, but geeze louise, makes me mad cuz like Jamie said...my hubby and I are ones that struggled for a long time, and this baby is a miracle. I give you a ton of credit for what you do, putting your own health at risk to help these people, even this hannah montanta dorito eating coke snuffing kid that you have to keep your raging opinion sealed tight. kudos to you, and congrats on #4!! #s 1, 2, and 3 are all beautiful!