Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Shakey

We had an earthquake just a few minutes ago. I acutally felt this one. Some stuff fell off our shelves onto me! I shouted out "a bus has hit the building!" Everyone busted out into uproarious laughter, shouting back to me that it was an earthquake. I remembered something about getting under a table, but then the shaking stopped. Wowee! We've had them before, but I've never felt one. I think the epicenter was just north of Santa Ana (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/33.35.-118.-116.php), but we felt it way down here. I was standing next to my boss, she said "oooh, this is a good one." Lars felt it too, and he's coastal right now (I'm pretty far inland). That's some crazy stuff.

Now that I've done tornadoes, torrential rains and floods, droughts, ridiculous blizzards, wild fires and earthquakes I'm going to go out on a limb and say I've had enough of weather drama. I recongize that there's the whole hurricane and tsunami bit to experience, count me out.

Please send good vibes to poor little Maggie, who may or may not have woken up out of a deep Bassett Hound sleep to howl at the fault line gods.

I hope we got earthquake insurance.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20080729-1153-quake.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richter_magnitude_scale

3 comments:

Mommela said...

Glad you're safe; I was just about to call...

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Wowee! I am watching World News Tonight and Charlie Gibson is describing the earthquake in great detail. I wondered if you felt it. We just had a serious storm pass through with lots of wind, rain, and lightening. It seems pretty tame compared to an earthquake. Be careful!

Jamie Payne said...

I'm so glad that you're safe! Living in Atlanta is pretty boring weather-wise. We get some violent thunder storms, but obviously with our current drought problem they don't come often enough:)