Monday, February 9, 2009

Good Mother

On her 10-week birthday, Feb 6, Tova is well fed and growing nicely.

The day was going well, that is until a stranger to me meddled in my life with unsolicited parenting advice in an obnoxious and condescending way. It set me off. I don't respond well to people meddling, especially to the "advice" of people unknown to me who have no insight whatsoever into my circumstances. I have a temper, I'm not afraid to admit it. Occasionally my temper is a problem for me, though, occasionally it'll get the job done. It usually takes a lot to get me going on my Temper of Terror Roller Coaster, though, in certain circumstances I can go from 0-60 in a nanosecond -- especially when it involves my children. I may have lost my temper this afternoon, my head is certainly hurting like I did. Even if I didn't lose my temper (I'm told I didn't), I didn't respond in a snarky, clever way that would have made me proud. Later, I found out that the obnoxious stranger was a 2nd grade teacher at my kids' school. Now I am really rankled . . .

Since then, I've received reassurance from those dear to me that I am a good mother and that the 2nd grade teacher was out of line. But, it's got me on the rampage because it certainly is not okay to humiliate someone and make them feel like they are a bad mother. That is simply wrong and that kind of behavior holds no value, whether it's to someone like me (a seasoned and generally confident mother) or to someone like my patients (a young and timid teenager who is doing her best). There is just not even an itty bitty drop of water under my bridge -- no siree. Nope.

As it were, I'm not vindictive so I'll have to let this dead dog lie, or is it lay? Also, she's a teacher at my kids' school. I guess there's no sense in making a mountain range out of some pimple-butt-lame-brain-meddling-donkey's stinky meddling molehill, right?


A Rap (of sorts) by Me, the Scorned-By-A-Stranger Mother

Simmer down. Breathe. Meditate.
Cause it's about to get crrrrrazy with an update!
The wind's a-howling and the rain's a-coming down
And I just can't seem to get rid of this frown
But then I see around me within my sight
4-amazing things that I've cooked just right

Our #1 Viking is little Petra the Leigh
Who is sitting at her desk reading studiously
She's tiny and she's pretty but she's tough as nails
With the strength of 100-men and 7-beluga whales
She's a speller, she's a math-er, and an athlete too
She's the super-special something in our rug-rat crew

Then there's sassy Soren, our Main Man boy
Though he thinks he's Jewish, he's really a goy
He likes to play soccer, Legos and games with cards
And the volume of his shrieks can be heard for yards
But the thing about my son that you should know
Are that his happy dappy moods make our family flow

Our third dear one, a precious bundle of joy
Is our 3-year old Annike who is clever and coy
She's soft and she's squishy with lovely blond hair
That frames her darling visage, so yummy and fair
Lest you be fooled by her most angelic of faces
She'll demand to use the potty in the most awkward places

Bringing up the rear is our Baby Tova Marge
At 12-1/2 pounds she's large and in charge
With beginnings quite small but now like a blimp
Some of the best moments with our new little imp
Are the dimpled, drooly grins that cavort with her cheeks
And mingle with goo-gah's as she charmingly speaks

And now it is clear, though I was stung by those words,
I know at this moment that woman was just full of turds
For who so could provide the world with such beauty
Than a mother lovingly committed to her mothering duty?
I may not always be pleasant, perky or perfect and all of the rest
But to those who meddle, know that I'm doing my best

. . . and that should be enough, so shove it!
The End




5 comments:

Mommela said...

You ARE a great mom with great kids, every single one of them. Period. I'm more than happy to take on this trash-talking with a little of my own smack-talk when I'm there. I get all momma-bear-ish--not only when my cub is getting it--but when my friends are getting it, too. I'll knock heads and take names. You just point me in the right place. I've got your back.

Carolyn said...

Oh, that was funny. Are you going to tell us what the woman said?

Anonymous said...

I think we should record a group of mommies performing that wrap - youtube here we come!
But seriously, look at the size of large marge's belly! Now that's something to be proud of, dear viking mom.

Display said...

Love it!

Chad Rector said...

If you were a good mother you would have included a verse about Maggie. I look down on you.