Thursday, April 2, 2009

What if . . .

Mr. M, Petra's 2nd grade teacher, approached me the other with Petra's IEP packet for her speech therapy. He asked me to fill it out and turn it back in. Then he smiled at me and said, "guess what Petra wrote in her journal."
Apparently, Petra had written quite a bit about a new work scenario for me. She detailed how I would be starting a new job in May, but not until after her birthday. She wrote that I would go to work just while she was in school and be home with her when her school day was done so that she could have friends over and so that I could take her to gymnastics "whenever". She went on to comment that I would never work at night or on the weekends or another holiday ever again. I was really liking the sound of her journal entry. It gets even better, though, she said that the new job would pay me more and that I would "get to work with Mr. Doctor OB," . . . remember him? Mr. Doctor OB's office is about a 15-minute walk from my house. Man, I love that little girl and her imagination.
.
Thing is, it's true. Mr. Doctor OB asked me to come work for him. I thought he was nuts, but some folks close to me encouraged me to pursue it. They also encouraged me to tell them that I was available only while the kids were in school, etc. Mr. Doctor and his colleagues decided I was worth it and hired me to start in May. I'm a little nervous about it all since the last time I actually saw Mr. Doctor there was a speculum between us but Lars has informed that I must get over it. Hopefully, I'll just never bump into him while I'm there, ya know, working at his very small office, ya know, the same hours as him. I know, get over it . . .

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

Whoa! Whoa! That's great news!!! That sounds like a terrific situation!
Congratulations! (ok, enough exclamation marks)

Mommela said...

So Mr. Dr. OB has been all up close and personal with your privates. He ALSO observed how you managed your own challenging pregnancy. He ALSO saw you advocate for yourself. He ALSO got to know what a totally cool woman you are. He'd be a fool to not want such a highly competent patient advocate nurse-midwife on his staff. AND he thought highly enough of you to want to meet your needs. How awesome is that?!? A boss who truly seems to value you and want you there!

Display said...

Congratulations, again! So many doctors really don't think anything of having seen people naked or so intimately close up. A colleague of mine had a far more embarrassing experience which really highlights that. She was being introduced to a bigwig OB who would be working on a project with her program. OB said, "It's nice to meet you." Colleague said, "Actually, we've met. You delivered my son."

OB's reply: "But other than the lithotomy, we've never met?"

Jamie Payne said...

Congrats Kelly! My "mom job" is what makes it so easy for me to remain a working mom. In by 8am, out by 4:30pm and I spend all night, weekends and holidays with my munchkins! I'm so glad that you were able to find something that allows you more time at home. Good luck:)

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

OMG!!! This is wonderful, Kel! It's the best of all worlds. Congratulations!!! (please excuse all the exclamation marks -- I'm just so excited for you! Oops - there I go again)