Thursday, April 16, 2009

In My Shirt

Okay, so we are darn near desperate to get Tova to take a bottle. I have many, many apprehensions about starting solids before 6-months. However, if she won't take a bottle when I start my new job on May 5th then we'll have to introduce the pureed avocado whether we like it or not.

Due to arrive tomorrow, but after I return from work for the night, is our new $12 Adiri bottle. We also ordered a 3-pack of the First Years Breastflow bottles, with their nipple within a nipple design they are supposed to imitate the mother's breast. If you ask me, that sounds more like a birth defect . . . which leads me to what I am, at this exact moment in time, doing.

I have four artificial nipple stuffed into my bra right now. My SIL, a champion of breastfeeding, sent me a link to a Berkeley chat room in which a lactation consultant and midwife recommended that the nursing mother places bottle nipples skin-to-skin before she leaves for work so the nipples have the mother's scent on them. This is the reason why there are no pictures on today's post, I've got 4-supernumerary nipples and it ain't comfy.

Lastly, I am wearing a shirt of Lars' with my mommy-lovin' all over it so that when it comes time for her to eat he can wear the scented shirt and use the scratch and sniff nipples.

If this doesn't work we have the four final hold-outs before the banana hits the baby food grinder: the boob shaped Adiri bottle, the birth defected Breastflow bottles, sippy cup, and the final suggestion of having her sip expressed breatmilk through a straw.

Oh man, I just answered the door with my supernumerary nipples standing at attention while wearing an over sized flag-of-Norway t-shirt. God save that poor soul's eyes from needing to pecked out of her head.

Helllllllp?!?!

2 comments:

Jamie Payne said...

Good luck! We never had a problem both nursing and bottlefeeding the boys. Because of Ava's time in the NICU, she's always had breastmilk via a bottle. Hope your new bottles do the trick! They look amazing:)

Mommela said...

Four? Very impressive! I hope at least one of these works for little Tova. I know that will make the job-change much easier for you.