Wednesday, November 19, 2008

When the going gets rough . . .

When the going gets rough, the tough find a spot on the couch pillows and curl up like a cute little Baby Man Monster.

Preggie/Baby Update . . .
I am term, I have been for a week. It's good to have that behind me. Now it's time to fatten her up. I went in yesterday for my biweekly NST (every Tuesday and Friday). It took over an hour to get her 'reactive' for 20-minutes, I finally had to ask them to use the acoustic stimulator on her. She measured 2-1/2 weeks behind, which may or may not be significant because the confidence interval at term is 2-weeks and 3-weeks in some cases. Annike measured small, too, but then again she was small. My amniotic fluid was on the borderline. I was contracting every 2-minutes. The physician who saw me, Dr TER, suggested we head over to the hospital and deliver her right then and there. I declined, but only by a narrow margin. I wasn't emotionally ready. The group that I see is very respectful of my professional training and has always been collegial with me. Because the Santa Ana winds are fierce right now and it's been hot, I suggested that the fluid and contractions were probably dehydration. We made a plan for me to rehydrate and then we'll re-evaluate on Friday when I see Mr Doctor OB (oooh, shiver). I'm fairly certain that I've since caused major setbacks in the Arctic with the vast quantities of ice I've been eating and there's most certainly been a noticeable decrease in the water levels of the Colorado River due to all the fresh water I've downed. I'm a tryin' to eat and eat and eat to fatten up this little punk (who still has no name, unless you count Annike's suggestion of Pineapple Peach Legoland Mariposa). This was my last week at work, tomorrow marks my official Day 1 of leave. I'm second guessing that decision now, kind of wishing I was working a bit longer because my mind has a tendency to wander. I did, however, get all my delinquent charts signed off over in medical records and my patients are all tucked in until I get back from leave (though I will think about all my little muchachas frequently and with longing). I bought some newborn diapers and some BPA free bottles. My hospital bag is packed, I even included deodorant for Larsy in there. Lars is scheduled for a 9 am haircut tomorrow. The kids are peaceful and calm about everything. My mom (bless her heart) made arrangements to cross, yet again, over major time zones to be here for us starting on the 24th (her arrival can't come soon enough)-- as you may recall, she was recently in France acculturating Baby Milo to his French side and saying goodbye to a dear friend (Remy) who is succumbing to cancer and renal failure. Maggie has her Petmobile beauty treatment with Crazy Leslee on Saturday morning. I've washed the couch, yes washed it (good ol' IKEA). My cesarean is scheduled for 11/28 (due to the placentation issues). Soren and Ultimette's room is done! My boobs are ret to go, nursing pads on hand. Lars will begin driving in to work as opposed to taking the train from now on. So you see my friends, if Friday is the day, then so be it because all my ducks are in a row, poop is in a group, the hamster is alive and the wheel is spinnin'.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Gah! Can hardly stand the waiting! Hope it all goes as well as it possibly can. Love, Carolyn

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

I can't believe it's finally time for Ulimette to make her grand arrival. Boy the time has gone fast! Yeah, it's easy for me to say...I'm not the pregnant one. Jamie is also ready for Ava's arrival which could happen any day. She is holding off until after Saturday - we have a movie date to see Twilight - and Thanksgiving. I want Ava to come NOW! Your Dad wants Ava to come this weekend. I suggested that he call Jamie and schedule Ava's arrival with Jamie, but he's too chicken to cross the pregnant one. Please call us as soon as we are grandparents again. Can't wait for little Pineapple to arrive!

Mommela said...

Fingers crossed, sending out the prayers/karma/love to all 6 of you, and we can't wait to meet the newest Engstrom cutie! Lots and lots of love from the Blanders.

Jamie Payne said...

I can't blame you for wanting to wait and have everything in place. I feel like I have so much to get in order yet before Ava makes her arrival...both at home and at work. My doctors have brought up an induction for the first week of December one to many times and it's starting to get on my nerves. I know they're only thinking of what's best for my kidneys but it's still frustrating. Good luck sis! I can't wait to see pics of the newest Engstrom!!!