Friday, July 10, 2009

Oh the Places I've Been

It's been awhile. I want to tell you all the funny stories (15-year old pregnant girl story coming soon), but there hasn't been an opportunity. Here's the deal:

Petra is having out-patient surgery next week under general anesthesia. Insurance pays for 80% of the procedure, none of the anesthiologists fees. We have to pay those out of pocket the day of the surgery. $600 the first hour, $100 each additional 15-minute that he spends with my out-cold daughter. I want to vomitit, vomit, vomit.

I've been trying to acclimate at New Job with Mr Doctor OB and the three other physicians there. While Mr Doctor and Dr Favorite are great, Dr Boss is a little gruff to say the least but seems to like me and want good things for me. I go with the flow because she's . . . well, she's the boss and I'm new and not very doctor-y. Then, on the other end, there is Dr Hates Kelly's Guts. Very stressful. I do my best not to let it get me down. When she barks at me I try to kill her with kindness, big smiles, lavish thanks on her for "showing me the way," and all that yadda-yadda hoo-hoo. On the days that we're both in the office together it's pretty stressful for me, on the days that I'm there and she's not I'm left to read the notes she leaves me -- they always end with little smiley faces that I'm near 'bout positive have darts coming out of their eyes.

As if all that weren't enough, I'm still getting my donkey kicked by Old Job. Lately, I've been working over 40/hours a week. Drama happened at Old Job (where I'm happy, and comfortable, treated collegially and most importantly loved by ALL). One midwife had a heart attack, one had a bowel obstruction that required major abdominal surgery, one finally retired at the age of 78-years old. All within one week. We went from being a well oiled machine to GM before Chapter 11. Then, one week later, one of our midwives broker her arm. You just can't do it with a broken arm. Doesn't work that way. When the meconium hits the fan then I'm the crunchy granola hippy who is breastfeeding an infant every 2-hours with four kids and a second job that they call in to pick up all the pieces. I'm sure it goes something like this, Midwife Boss and Midwife Scheduler, "We're four midwives down." "What are we going to do?" "I know, lets call our least available midwife and make her come in. No big deal that after she pays taxes and childcare for 4-kids she make approximately $0.30 cents."

I'm a sucker. I'm also a team player. I love my preggos in the barrios and I love their babies. That is why I've been spending more time with them (and the cougars at New Job) than I have been with my own kids.

Lars is considering leaving Pfarma. A new position has been applied for at a start-up with BIG scientific names. Celebreties in the scientific world. He told me they are the Michael Jordans and Larry Birds of his line of work. He told them his price point. He told me last night that he can't manage with me working so much, that it scares him that I make more than him, that he's right about ready to end this salary competition here and now, and that if he gets New Position with Big Names then I will have the opportunity to cut back at Old Job when I'm done taking it for the team. He wants me to spend more time making New Job with Ms Onry Butt/Dr Hates Kelly's Guts a bigger and better venture. And he wants me spend less time working (and kicking his donkey on the earnings end).

I want a long vacation, flat abs, perky boobs, great highlights, and 3-cars that do NOT presently have the CHECK YOUR FRICKIN' ENGINE light on.

And two more babies.

And a box of custard filled donuts.

4 comments:

sarah b said...

What surgery is Petra having?

Chad Rector said...

If Petra wants some elective frill like anesthesia, shouldn't she have to pay for it herself out of her allowance?

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

We don't have children, but we have 3 canines that take the place of humans. Leo, our middle child, was rushed to the emergency hospital this afternoon where he is spending the night. He was walking around in a drinken-like stupor and has been diagnosed with vestibular syndrome. Today's bill came to $991. Tomorrow he will be transported from the emergency animal hospital to his regular veterinarian where I will undoubtedly be charged more $$$. If his diagnosis is vestibular sydrome, he should make a complete recovery. On the outside chance, it could be a tumor of the cerebelum. We refuse to think about that right now. We would do anything for our children, as you do for yours. No price can be placed on our children's care. I hope Ms. Petra will be a-okay.

Mommela said...

Oh my! How could Drs. Ornry and Hater not love you? You're the best, darn nurse/midwife/mom/wife/friend/goldfisher I know! They'll come around; if they don't they must be heartless robot doctors.

And Petra! What's the scoop with our Petra?